Owning Your Sexual Self
61.1- Sexual Assault Awareness Month- Stats You Want to Know!
Apr 26, 2021
Stats for this episode were taken directly from rainn.org. I highly recommend this website for those looking to further their education around sexual assault or for those who are seeking help.
Every 73 seconds an American is sexually assaulted.
Everyone Is Affected by Sexual Violence
- 1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime (14.8% completed, 2.8% attempted).
- About 3% of American men—or 1 in 33—have experienced an attempted or completed rape in their lifetime.
- From 2009-2013, Child Protective Services agencies substantiated, or found strong evidence to indicate that, 63,000 children a year were victims of sexual abuse.
- A majority of child victims are 12-17. Of victims under the age of 18: 34% of victims of sexual assault and rape are under age 12, and 66% of victims of sexual assault and rape are age 12-17.
What was the survivor doing when the crime occured?
- 48% were sleeping, or performing another activity at home
- 29% were traveling to and from work or school, or traveling to shop or run errands
- 12% were working
- 7% were attending school
- 5% were doing an unknown or other activity
- Ages 12-34 are the highest risk years for rape and sexual assault.
- Those age 65 and older are 92% less likely than 12-24 year olds to be a victim of rape or sexual assault, and 83% less likely than 25-49 year olds.